Kyle’s house in Campbell
Thanks all who attended the meeting and to those submitted beers for our competition. Special thanks to Kevin for his BIAB demonstration as well, and for sending out notes already. I thought the competition format worked pretty well, let me know if you have any ideas to improve on for the future.
As I mentioned in the meeting, I would like to rethink the next in club competition. I would still like to do a club best Kentucky Common or Pre Prohibition Lager to represent us at NCHF, but realize this concept would be less appealing to members who are not attending NCHF or are not able to brew lagers in the summer. We can still do that but in a more informal setting. Some ideas below, please let me know if you like any of these or have other ideas. If we can make a decision by/at the next meeting, we can shoot for a June/July competition date.
- Brew a beer using the same 1 or 2 hops (maybe a southern hemisphere theme?)
- Brew a beer using the same specialty malt, similar to the smoked beer challenge (acid malt, peated malt, rye)
- Cereal/dessert themed beer
- Wood aged beer, I think this would be a good experiment for those who haven’t tried before, oak chips are available cheap and make a great addition to a lot of styles
BJCP competition schedule. Note, Steins is this weekend, and San Mateo registration closes next Wednesday. BABO is open now as well and State Fair coming up soon after.
|Registration||Entry Submission||Mail/drop off||Cost||Judging|
|San Mateo County Fair||Now||4/1/2015||4/3/2015||drop off||$6||4/25/2015|
|Bridging the Gap (Davis)||2/27/2015||4/4/2015||2/27/2015||4/4/2015||4/18/2015|
|Napa Homebrewer Classic||3/30/2015||4/11/2015||3/30/2015||4/11/2015||Oak Barrel Berkeley||$9||4/23-5/9|
|CA State Fair||4/3/2015||5/2/2015||5/9/2015||5/17/2015||$15|
|Modern Times||4/27/2015||5/18/2015||4/27/2015||5/18/2015||drop off||5/23/2015|
- Lake Chabot camping trip, May 15 to 17. We have a few spots available still, let me know if you’d like to attend, even just one night.
- Mt. Madonna camping trip (the Grain Trust), August 7 to 9, not sure we’re invited yet but I’m sure they won’t mind if we crash the party
- NHC, registration is closed, I’m guessing if you’re going you don’t need any details here. Start getting beers ready though, we need a few kegs to represent us at club night and the hospitality suite
- NCHF, details coming soon
Single Hop Competition – I thought this went well (except my scoring SNAFU, apologies for the confusion!). We had 14 entries and were able to get through this in a decent amount of time. All the entries were awesome, I was impressed and got good feedback from everyone I talked to. On our 15 point scale the average scores ranged 9.1 to 12.3 so very tight overall results. The final scores are below. As Roger mentioned, you should all consider entering the public competitions. Remember if you claim Headquarters and medal the club will reimburse your entry fees.
|Chinook Pale Ale||12.3|
|Citra Imperial IPA||12.2|
|Simcoe Pale Ale||11.7|
|Galaxy Pale Ale 1||11.1|
|Galaxy Begian Pale||10.7|
|Sorachi Ace Pale Ale||10.6|
|Willamette Cream Ale||10.5|
|Citra Belgian Pale||10.3|
|Simcoe CA Common||10.1|
|Northern Brewer IPA||9.6|
|Galaxy Pale Ale 2||9.6|
|Amarillo Amber Ale||9.1|
Homebrews – hard to believe we had more homebrews on top of this but we got a few
- Brian’s Berliner Weiss – Tart, deceiving 5+%, light and drinkable
- Jonathan’s Black Rye IPA – chocolate, bitter, mild hop aroma, good complexity
- Chris’s foreign extra – nice roast, dark malt complexity, clean, smooth
- Kyle’s Belgian Pale, complex, clear, pineapple fruity
Next meeting, 4/18, we’ll try to get back at Rookies!