I kicked off the business by reporting on the following upcoming homebrew competitions.
* The next internal club competition is ‘Stout’.
Entries due at the March HeadQuarters meeting.
WORLD CUP 2023
* February 1st, registration opens for entrants.
* $10 entry fee
* Entry bottles accepted at the following drop-off locations
– from Thursday, February 23, 2023
– through Wednesday, March 8, 2023 12:00 PM (noon)
+ More Beer Concord, 995 Detroit Ave. Unit G, Concord ,CA 94518
+ More Beer San Leandro, 2315 Verna Ct., San Leandro, CA 94577
+ Oak Barrel Winecraft, 1443 San Pablo Avenue, Berkeley, CA 94702
* Scheduled Judging dates at 21st Amendment in San Leandro as follows
– March 18 & 19
– March 25 & 26 and
– April 1 – Final Judging
BABO (the Bay Area Brew-Off at the Alameda County Fair homebrew competition)
* Entry drop off April 1st through 13th
– More Beer Los Altos
– More Beer San Leandro
– More Beer Concord
– Clandestine Brewing
– Oak Barrel Winecraft
– Lodi Wine Labs
* Final judging will be at the Alameda County Fairgrounds May 6th
* Online registration at the Alameda County Fair site, after all details firmed up.
** Due to unexpected/unusual fair bureaucracy, the entry fee is expected to be $3.
If so, this is an unparallel opportunity to get objective BJCP judge feedback on your homebrew for a fraction of the typical cost.
* National Homebrew Competition
Registration closed February 12.
Final Judging at the Homebrew Conference
* National Homebrew Conference
SAN DIEGO June 22–24, 2023
* Santa Clara County Fair homebrew competition
Entries likely due the beginning of July
Final judging at the end of July
I reported on the following upcoming events & activities.
* April 16 (Sunday) San Andreas Malts oyster BBQ
– The Malts will secure oysters and prepare them.
Everyone else brings potluck item and beer/wine to share.
– The following details were from the 2019 (the last one before COVID)
+ San Pedro Park, Pacifica – Parking $6 – NO PETS!
+ Cost per person $25
or $8 for non-oyster eaters or kids under 12.
* North Berkeley brewery crawl
probably May 13
Details still being worked out.
* NCHF (Northern California Homebrewers Festival, aka ‘Beer Camp’)
Typically 3rd Saturday of September at the Lake Francis resort
The HeadQuarters will have a booth.
* We decided the March beer style/theme will be ‘Stout‘.
– As we will be voting on member brewed stouts.
– And it’ll be the St. Patrick’s day weekend.
We sampled 4 homebrews & 2 Clandestine beers.
Thanks to everyone sharing beer,
About the Author: